- Dennett, From Bacteria to Bach and Back. Generally good, though it’s mostly a “tools for thinking” book like Dennett (2013) or Yudkowsky (2015), not a detailed argument for a specific theory of consciousness like Prinz (2012), Dehaene (2014), or even Dennett (1991).
- Kranish & Fisher, Trump Revealed. Meh, you know most of it already if you followed the campaign.
- Harari, Homo Deus. Fun to read, not much else. Surprisingly little of it is about the future.
Music I most enjoyed discovering this month:
- Michael Formanek: Nature of the Beast (1997)
- Fly: Fly (2010)
Ones I “really liked” (no star), or “loved” (star):
- Larraín, Jackie (2016)
- Craig, The Edge of Seventeen (2016) ★
- Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea (2016) ★
- Davis, Lion (2016)
- Jenkins, Moonlight (2016)
- Washington, Fences (2016)
- Scorsese, Silence (2016)
- Ford, Nocturnal Animals (2016) ★
- Cresciman, Sun Choke (2016)
- Bujalski, Results (2015) ★
- Ergüven, Mustang (2015) ★
Hey, did you know you’ve been mentioned in a debate between Mike Licona and Matt Dillahunty? Mike Licona mentioned your story about how your church needed money and got it. Just thought you might like to know. I really like the blog post you wrote about that so that’s why I recognised the story and knew who he was referring to.
Thanks for the notice!