- Dormehl, Thinking Machines. This “history” of AI is mostly a quick survey of news stories about AI progress from the past three years.
- Wood, The Way of the Strangers. Quite good, afaict.
- Barrett, How Emotions Are Made. The book is a mixed bag, but fwiw I find this general approach more promising than Ekman/Panksepp/etc. Best Cliffs Notes is maybe this interview.
Music I most enjoyed discovering this month:
- Joel Harrison: Urban Myths (2009)
- Larry Young: Lawrence of Newark (1973)
- Richard Landry: “Fifteen Saxophones” (1977)
- Virna Lindt: Shiver (1984)
- The Lounge Lizards: No Pain for Cakes (1987), Queen of All Ears (1998)
- Power Trip: Nightmare Logic (2017)
- Cameron Graves: Planetary Prince (2017)
- Tigran Hamasyan: Shadow Theater (2013), Mockroot (2015)
- Agnes Obel: Aventine (2013)
- Blanck Mass: World Eater (2017)
- Kneebody: Anti-Hero (2017)
- Marius Neset: Neck of the Woods (2012), Birds (2013)
Ones I “really liked” (no star), or “loved” (star):
- Birbiglia & Barrish, Sleepwalk with Me (2012)
- Carloni & Nelson, Kung Fu Panda 3 (2016)
- Blair, I Don’t Feel at Home in This World Anymore (2017)
- Fukunaga, Beasts of No Nation (2015) ★
- Audiard, Dheepan (2015)
- Ferreras, Wrinkles (2011)