- Tye, Tense Bees and Shell-Shocked Crabs: Pretty good. I probably disagree with it in >100 places, but that’s to be expected for any book-length treatment on something as difficult to study as consciousness.
- Haffner, Defying Hitler: Good. I wish it had been continued past 1933.
- Pistorius, Ghost Boy: Scary but inspiring.
Music I most enjoyed discovering this month:
- Nico Muhly, A Good Understanding (2010)
- Simeon ten Holt, Canto Ostinato Revisited (2015 recording)
- Dafnis Prieto, Taking the Soul for a Walk (2008), Absolute Quintet (2006)
- The Dear Hunter, Act V: Hymns with the Devil in the Confessional (2016)
- Birdsongs of the Mesozoic, Magnetic Flip (1984), Beat of the Mesozoic (1986) [totally forgot about, then rediscovered]
- Birdsongs of the Mesozoic, Dancing on A’A (1995)
- Hannah Epperson, Upsweep (2016)
- Young Magic, Still Life (2016)
- Tonbruket, “First Flight of a Newbird” (2016)
Ones I really liked, or loved:
- Tiernan & Vernon, Sausage Party (2016)
- Various, Adventure Time, Season 7 (2015-2016)
- Allen, Café Society (2016)
- Various, Atlanta: Season 1 (2016)
- Villeneuve, Arrival (2016)
- Gray, Straight Outta Compton (2015)
- Various, You’re the Worst, Season 3 (2016)
- Katis, Kilo Two Bravo (2014)
- Coimbra, A Wolf at the Door (2013)